Nature Conservation in Estonia
For preserving biological diversity and for ensuring the favorable status of threatened species and habitats, 18,7% of Estonia's land area and 26% of the water area has been taken under protection.
As of December 31, 2017, Estonia had a total of 3,864 protected natural objects including:
- 5 national parks;
- 165 nature reserves;
- 150 landscape protection areas (nature parks);
- 523 parks and stands;
- 328 limited-conservation areas;
- 1,480 species’ protection sites;
- 1,114 individual protected natural objects;
- 23 natural objects protected at the local government level;
- 71 protected areas with old protection regulation.
The western capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus). Photo by Jaanus Tanilsoo