Nature Conservation in Estonia
For preserving biological diversity and for ensuring the favorable status of threatened species and habitats, 18,7% of Estonia's land area and 26% of the water area has been taken under protection.
As of December 31, 2016, Estonia had a total of 3,864 protected natural objects including:
- 5 national parks;
- 159 nature reserves;
- 152 landscape protection areas (nature parks);
- 534 parks and stands;
- 335 limited-conservation areas;
- 1,426 species’ protection sites;
- 1,153 individual protected natural objects;
- 20 natural objects protected at the local government level;
- 80 protected areas with old protection regulation.
The western capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus). Photo by Jaanus Tanilsoo